tldr; Hackintosh Guide for Catalina on my 2014 custom built PC
- 16GB USB Drive
- OSX Catalina from the App Store
- 🤞 Lots of patience
Hard to believe this build was from January 2014 and is still running great.
- NZXT Tempest 210 case
- GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H motherboard
- Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz
- Intel HD Graphics 4600 1536 MB
- 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 memory
- Corsair CX500 Power Supply
- (2)256 SSD and 1TB HD
Hackintoshes are very picky on hardware so make sure you choose wisely.
Tonymacx86 Buyers Guide is a great resource to choose from guaranteed working builds.
- You will need to have a copy of Catalina from the App store.
- Format USB Drive to
MacOS Extended(Journaled). Set Scheme to
GUID Partition Mapand name it
- Open Terminal and run:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --nointeraction --downloadassets --volume /Volumes/USB/
☕ this process takes a while (like really long maybe 15-30 mins) so get a coffee refill
Clover configuration is a two part process. You’ll have to do it once on the USB Drive and then again on the install drive post-install.
Most of these are zip files so extract them and look for the file extension
Had some issues with clover on my MacBoook Pro so I followed this guide to disable SIP
FIX: Click the Apple symbol in the Menu bar.
Hold down Command-R to reboot into Recovery Mode.
Type `csrutil disable`.
Press Return or Enter on your keyboard.
Click the Apple symbol in the Menu bar.
make sure you re-able SIP after you are done by running
csrutil enablereversing the process above
- Make sure your USB Drive is inserted.
- run the
clover_version_rev.pkgthat you downloaded.
- On the Destination Select tab, click on the option Change Install Location.
- Select the USB Flash Drive.
- Now on the Installation Type Tab Click on the Customize option.
- defaults were ok in my build
Open up the EFI partition (location: /Volumes/EFI/), and navigate to “EFI”, then to “CLOVER”. Then, navigate to the “kexts” folder, then to “Other”.
You should be in the directory /Volumes/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. In here, you’ll want to drop in the required Kexts as well as any other Kexts you need for your system.
- Boot from your new USB Drive (on USB2 port).
- From the clover menu, enter option
-lilubetaallon the Boot Args option and then Return
- Boot from macOS Intall option
- and when it boots up, Go to
Disk Utiltyand format your SSD to use
- Install macOS Catalina.
During installation process the macOS will reboot several times.
remember to select boot from Catalina if its not already selected
- Now you will need to do the Clover EFI steps again but this time to your new Catalina SSD. Follow same steps as in Step 2 but choose Catalina SSD rather than the USB Drive.